Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Jesus and the pot roast


I thought about titling this blog “How to Win Friends and Influence People” but I guess there are some potential copyright issues there. So instead, I’ll title it “How to Spark Controversy and Inflame both sides of the Political Coin in a Single Blog!”  or “How to Make Yourself an Outcast while living in the Bible Belt.” This promises to be one of those train wreck conversations akin to speaking about politics or religion in a bar. Or as evil and sinister as those Best-buy commercials where those “docile” housewives torment and torture Santa Claus. That’s as heartless as dropping slugs into the Salvation Army bucket. I mean, how sadistic can you get? But seeing that the Mayan Calendar says that the world will be coming to an end next year, let me throw caution to the wind!

I recently came across a conversation repeated on Facebook that pondered the following statement:

"Speaking only about CHRISTMAS - what is the reasoning behind the atheists and agnostics who celebrate this particular holiday? Why would you celebrate the birthday of someone who doesn't exist to you? If you don't believe in CHRIST - then take down your tree, lights and other symbols of Christmas and practice what you preach! And don't say Christmas is about Santa, it was NEVER about Santa, it was about having FAITH in something you can't see - GOD!"

Now again, I emphasize that I am reprinting this post. Worse yet, I am doing so without permission of the person that wrote it. But who wrote it is a moot point. What I am most interested in, and I hope you will agree, is that there is a huge difference between faith and “blind” faith. What do you believe and why do you believe it?

Here is a story that helps illustrate what I am trying to explain. I delight you in the infamous “Pot Roast” story:

A newly married couple was beginning their first Sunday meal preparation. The young woman began preparing a wonderful roast of beef while the man was preparing the vegetables. As they worked, the man noticed that the wife sliced off both ends of the roast and then rolled it in spiced flour. Curious, he asked, “Why did you do that?” “Do what?” “Slice the ends off the roast,” he responded, “Does that make it juicier or something?”
“Well, I don’t really know. Mom always does that when she cooks a roast.” So they called her mother and were amused to hear that she also didn’t know why the ends should be cut off the roast. It turns out it was because “your Grandmother always did that and so I do too.” Of course they called Grandmother and heard a hearty laugh when they asked her “why do we always cut the ends off the roast of beef before cooking it?” After Grandmother got control of her laughter, she exclaimed, “I can’t believe you guys are doing that! The only reason I did that was to get the roast to fit in the pan!”

So what does a pot roast have to do with Christmas? Nothing unless it’s on the table for dinner! It does illustrate what I have experienced in myself and others, of how we do things, not out of original thought, but repetitive action.  But what first got my attention was an assumption that “Christmas” trees and lights are somehow biblically based. Now considering that Jesus was Jewish, I was assume there would be a dreidel and a menorah, but I digress. This is a small example of what I have experienced during my tenure as a Christian as to misperceptions of faith. Why do we celebrate Christmas? Is the birthday of Jesus actually on December 25th? What does any of this have to do with lights and trees and five golden rings?

I am sad to say that I have seen many Christians following a tradition as opposed to a genuine faith of heart. I have seen many devoted Sunday attendees going to the same church that their parents and grandparents went to – only for that reason. That’s where their family always went. So what are we celebrating and why do we celebrate it?

As I continued to read responses to this post, I was saddened to see that many Christians vigorously defend this to be the celebration of the birth of Christ without being aware that the tree we decorate has it’s historical roots (some pun intended) based in a pagan ritual.  Or to remember that Jesus himself is Jewish and is also a historical figure in both Jewish and Muslim teachings. Again, defend what you believe but also know what you believe in! Don’t fall victim to ignorance, regardless of your spiritual beliefs.

Slavery in America was biblically based. The crusades were biblically based. The Klu Klux Klan is biblically based. Hitler was acting out on his religious beliefs, founded in a Christian faith. Yet Gandhi was not a Christian but believed in Jesus and His message of love. His holiness, the Dalai Lama, acknowledges the significance of the teachings of Jesus. The Qur’an speaks of Jesus being a prophet sent by God.

And I found also in the course of this conversation that many who professed to be atheists or non-Christian knew more about Christ than some Christians themselves. I honestly felt I could have a more enriching conversation with the "outsiders" than with some of my fellow followers of Christ, based on the well stated historical lessons on the history of Christmas they offered.

Now wisdom and ignorance takes on all shapes and sizes. And I certainly do not claim that non-Christians know more about God than Christians. But I do cringe anytime a Christian offers up words of confrontation towards anyone with an opposing point of view. And I fully understand why so many non-Christians are put off by the pious behavior exhibited by some Christians. I’ve heard it said that Christians do more to damage their own reputation than any outside force ever will. Look at how many denominations there are here in America, who vigorously argue who is right in their view of scripture? Or what of Catholics and Protestants in Ireland killing each other over belief?

Christians need not fear other beliefs because we’re too busy not knowing what to believe about ourselves! We still haven’t learned how to simply love each other. And if Christians cannot love other Christians, how the hell do you expect to shine a light to someone who doubts the sincerity of what a Christian believes? Or even accurately knows? Again, defend your belief but KNOW what and why you believe.

So as I pull the pin on this theological hand grenade, awaiting the explosion of responses let me close by professing my own ignorance. I look back on a time where I was right simply because I was a Christian. Period. I got more caught up in the politics than the love. So I do not claim to have knowledge cornered by any means. I have two ears and one mouth. I try to listen twice and speak once. And I am amazed when I actually learn something positive from a view other than my own. I am a student, always learning. As I believe we all are. But I think that regardless of whatever our faith may be, we can all benefit more loving, listening and learning.

Anyhow, I wish you a non-judgmental, politically correct, inoffensive wishes of good tidings during this final month of 2011.


No comments:

Post a Comment