Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Jesus or Gandhi? Why not both??


As a believer of Jesus, there is a question I wrestle with daily, much like the man Jacob wrestles with in that story in Genesis. Can Gandhi be in heaven? I find the knee-jerk reaction from most "Christians" is "NO". Their common argument is that Gandhi was not a Christian. This point of view has some holes in it, in my humble opinion. I don't believe this to be the case. My reasons for believing in Jesus lead me to believe that this is not true. In fact, I believe that we often are misunderstanding what the bible has to say about the matter.
As always, when discussing matters of theology, we embark on a never-ending journey. The questions I ask are not new to arena of discussion. And I do not expect to reach a solid, confirmed answer by the time we are through. Jesus has been discussed and cussed for 2000+ years. I simply desire to present some different points of view to ponder. I only question authority when I think authority is questionable (wink).
So Gandhi cannot be in heaven because Gandhi was not a Christian. Well, believe it or not, neither was Jesus. As the bumper sticker so proudly states, "My father is a Jewish carpenter". The first mention of the word or term "Christian" does not appear until the Book of Acts 11:26 (shown in context here). Jesus was Jewish in birth and upbringing. The lessons of Jesus are rooted in Old Testament teachings. This is important to note because I have personally observed some Christians negating the value and importance of the Old Testament, believing that it is the "old" way of living and no longer of importance.

ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE!

While I do confess that reading the Old Testament books like Leviticus & Deuteronomy are a exciting as a grocery list at times, to do away with their teachings is like saying that your grandparents are outdated and useless because they can’t operate an iPad! You need to know where you came from in order to understand where you’re going. For example, I have no desire to ever repeat my pubescent years, yet I would be a fool if I were to discard them as having no effect or value on my life.
I struggled a lot with trying to make some sense out of the Old Testament until I came across "The Bible Jesus Read" by Philip Yancey. In his book, I found comfort & companionship in writers who asked, nay, SCREAMED aloud some of the same questions I have. To know that Moses was just confused about what his purpose in life was as I am gives me peace to know that I'm not alone in my confusion. That Jacob “wrestled” with trying to understand who God is just like I am today brings me peace to know that it’s okay to question God. In fact, after wrestling with God, Jacob was given a new name – Israel, which means, “To wrestle with God”.
We take pride in names. Our country is boldly proclaimed “The UNITED STATES of America”. A name of unity, strength & togetherness. Bold. Strong. But our Middle East relative announces its identity as a nation “wrestling with who God is”. I feel there is something to be learned in the humility.
I was overjoyed as I continued to read, to discover a God that delighted in being challenged! Abraham and Sarah uttered aloud their doubts about being able to have a child when they were 90+ years of age, as God said they would. They weren’t condemned for asking. They were blessed with a beautiful baby after decades of despair. Moses lead thousands to a new life yet sounded like Porky Pig when he spoke. Can you imagine seeing a presidential debate with a Looney Toons character on stage? (Oh wait, we already are…)
What about Grace? One lesson spoken of repeatedly is the GRACE of Christ. Grace is a summary of what Christ is about. His dying on the cross to give us life that we don’t deserve. Grace. A gift. Never earned. Never purchased. Freely given to us who believe in Christ. It has been hypothetically discussed that even a man like Hitler could have received the saving grace of Christ if he asked for forgiveness in his final moments. A rather uncomfortable point to remember is that Hitler was raised Catholic and professed a belief in Christ in his adult years.
This is where it gets ugly. I betrays our sense of “justice” to consider such ideas. Yet, we have the story of the thieves on the cross, alongside Jesus. One thief asking Jesus to be remembered when Jesus comes to His kingdom. Jesus responds “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.” (Luke 29:39-43). Here was a man making his first or final confession and is promised forgiveness. He gets heaven.
We do not know what his crimes were. That is omitted from the story. What if he was a rapist? What if he slaughtered children? What if he was like John Wayne Gacy or Andrea Yates? We convict people like this in the court of our minds well before they ever reach the courtroom. Yet Jesus promises this man eternity in heaven. A reward none of us would readily give.
So Jesus is quick to forgive and honor the thief’s last request. Grace. Jesus can do so for any that ask willingly, if scripture is true or that is what the heart of the message is.
But there seems to be something so unjust about it. We demand justice and we want to believe that someone as evil as Hitler is roasting away as a eternal piece of human charcoal. But GRACE is not justice. Grace is unyielding, unbiased, love.
What about Gandhi? Can a man, who is world renown for his non-violent stand against oppression & injustice be enjoying the rewards of heaven? Again, most Christians would be quick to say “NO” since Gandhi was not a Christian. What does the bible say about what it takes to get to heaven?
In John 14:6, Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” I tend to think that many read this verse as definitive proof that one must be a Christian in order to get to heaven. But as we many time do, we add words to make scripture say what we want to believe. It does not say, “become a Christian and you will go to heaven”. In fact, even just being a Christian does not guarantee that you have a ride to paradise. I can find more verses that indicate otherwise.
For example, Matthew 5:20 says “For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.”
So does this mean I need to be holier than a priest? Does this mean that priests will not go to heaven?
Matthew 7:21 says “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.”
Okay, so does this mean that not all believers get to heaven? Or that all I need to do is follow God’s ways like Jesus says in “the Greatest Commandment” as written in Matthew 22:35-40
35 One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: 36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
 37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
So John Lennon was right! All you need is LOVE!
Now I don’t say this to make a mockery of the bible, but I do believe that this is all you really need to know about the bible. If we devote our time to just trying to love each other, I think the rest will fall into place.
But back to Gandhi. Can a man as loving and inspirational as Gandhi be in heaven? Can a “Catholic” like Hitler have the same access to eternal peace and salvation as Gandhi, who said, “Anger and intolerance are the enemies of correct understanding.”
But again, there is the discussion of John14:6. Yet Gandhi is also quoted as saying “I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” Unfortunately, I find this to be true more often than I care to admit.
I read in this quote that Gandhi indeed acknowledges Christ. I also see where Gandhi is quoting Matthew 7:21, to where “not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven. I would like to invoke the challenge to entertain the idea that if it is indeed possible for a wretched sinner like Hitler to be forgiven & enter the Pearly Gates, a majestic proponent of peace and love, like Gandhi, can be there alongside. A reminder that we as “adults” make things more complicated than necessary.
Maybe we need to pay more attention to a childlike way of being. Jesus recommends it repeatedly. To be innocent like a child seems to have been the greatest achievement one could aspire to.
Look to Matthew 18:2-5, At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Who, then, is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?”
 2 He called a little child to him, and placed the child among them. 3 And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. 5 And whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me.”
Or how about in Luke 18:15-17; 15 People were also bringing babies to Jesus for him to place his hands on them. When the disciples saw this, they rebuked them. 16 But Jesus called the children to him and said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. 17 Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.”
So I propose that we stop the fight, sit down to a meal of milk and cookies and act like children, for we have license to do so. A childlike faith is all that is needed to get to heaven. And if this is true, then the simple faith of a simple man like Gandhi was more than enough to “earn” salvation. Besides, why do we argue about who is in or not in heaven? Should we not make it our focus to love everyone enough so that we all can take part in such a celebration? Be busy loving and you find little time for fighting.

No comments:

Post a Comment